This small and mainly rural area is located south of Nanaimo, close to the neighboring areas of Cassidy and Ladysmith. Properties in Cedar are mainly residential and rural, with many acreages and farms that offer a variety of goods and services.
Providing all the pleasures of country living, some of the main highlights of Cedar include:
- McNab’s Produce Farm and Corn Maze
This local farm is always worth a visit, especially during the spooky season of Halloween. Offering hay rides, a walk through their legendary corn maze and time with friendly farm animals, there’s something here for the whole family.
- The Mahle House Restaurant
This restaurant offers a variety of Canadian and European dishes in a lovely historic house.
- The Crow and Gate Pub
This pub and restaurant is a local favorite that serves all the best Canadian and British recipes with the style and rustic charm of an old English Pub. This area is home to picturesque countryside, oceanfront views and access to local lakes. Other close amenities include the Nanaimo Airport YCD and for thrill-seekers, the nearby bungy jumping zone at Wild Play Element Park.
Other Cedar areas of interest
Cable Bay is a must-see for the Island explorer, especially if you walk the extra kilometer to Dodd Narrows. This is the site of a powerful tidal current where you can sit on the moss and watch boats as they are carried through the rocky channel. There is a lot of sandstone “beach” to explore here, especially at lower tides. Mudge Island is also close, located just across the narrows from this beach. Gabriola Island is located to the left, along with Protection Island, Duke Point and the Harmac pulp mill.
This park is located on Holden Lake, south of Nanaimo. This forested park is popular with local residents who come to explore the extensive trail system and the marsh area, which is also a favorite destination for bird watchers and ornithologists.
Cedar has its own Elementary and Secondary Schools and offers a contrasting lifestyle to that of the city.
- North Oyster Elementary– 13470 Cedar Rd., Ladysmith V9G 1H6 – 250 245-3330; fax: 250 245-2386, Principal Roger Douglas, Vice-Principal Darren Dickie, Secretary Janet Brocklehurst; Kindergarten to Grade 7: 97 students
- North Cedar Intermediate– 2215 Gould Road, Nanaimo V9X 1J9 – 250 722-2722; fax: 250 722-2055, Principal Roger Douglas, Secretary Kim Freer; Grades 4 to 7: 193 students
- Woodbank Primary– 1984 Woobank Rd., Nanaimo V9X 1K6 – 250 722-3644; fax: 250 722-3665, Principal Sharyn Andruski-Collins, Secretary Vicky McIntyre; Kindergarten to Grade 3: 180 students